Home > Plan FAQs
DIY Plan FAQS
Are you thinking of purchasing one of our Summerwood plans? Perhaps you're deciding between two structures and wonder which would work best in your area. Or maybe you've already purchased a structural plan but had some questions about it.
For your convenience, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions concerning Summerwood plans. If you don't find the answer to your question, browse our Ask an Expert section where we have answered previously asked questions by customers just like you. If your question isn't there already, post your question and we'll be delighted to answer you!
- I purchased your plans during the FREE PLANS promotion. How does it work?
- Can I return plans I've purchased?
- What are the available styles that I can purchase plans for?
- How do I download my plans?
- What is included when I purchase plans?
- What if I need help during the building process?
- What do I receive for selecting the ground shipping option?
- Are gazebo plans available?
- Which is less expensive: to build the structure myself or buy the kit from you?
- How much do your building plans cost?
- To what scale are your plans drawn?
- Do the plans come permit ready?
- What size paper do I need in order to print the plans?
- Will my plans be exactly as shown in the picture?
- Can I substitute my own siding in your plans?
- Can I substitute different supportive elements in your plans (e.g. 2 x 3 wall studs instead of 2 x 4s)?
- Can I change the height and overhang in my plans?
- Can I change the roof pitch in your plans?
- Can I install eaves troughs?
- Will my online modifications be reflected in my plans?
- Are foundation instructions included with my plans?
- Are shingling instructions included with my plans?
- Do you include instructions on how to insulate my building?
- Do you include instructions on how to install my own doors and windows?
- Do you offer instructions on how to install plumbing or electrical?
- Do you offer plans for cupolas, flower boxes and shutters?
- Is it possible to purchase doors and windows from Summerwood?
- Can I put more than one dormer on my structure?
I purchased your plans during the FREE PLANS promotion. How does it work?
It's easy! Simply purchase your plans at regular price, build your structure, take some photos of your completed structure and send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org within 6 months of your plans purchase and we'll reimburse the full price of your plans!
Can I return plans I've already purchased?
Due to the nature of DIY building plans and the ease of copying and sharing electronic and printed documents, we do not provide refunds.
What are the available styles that I can purchase plans for?
The following styles have plans available for purchase:
- Bar Harbor
- Bear Club
- Glen Echo
- Kepler Creek
- Petite Pentagon
- San Cristobal
- Peach Pickers Porch
- Sojo Spa
- Tattle Creek
How do I download my plans?
Just follow these simple steps:
- Open http://www.summerwood.com/plans/download.html.
- Enter your email address and access code provided in the email you've received with your purchase.
- Right click the download links one at a time and select SAVE AS.
- Save the files to your desktop or other convenient location on your computer.
- Go to the location where you've saved the files and double click them one at a time to open, read or print.
What is included when I purchase plans?
You will receive all of the following when you purchase a Summerwood plan:
- Structure Plans: The actual building plans for the structure you've selected.
- Option Plans: Any options you've selected will be provided as separete documents.
- Materials List: Contains all the supplies you will need to complete your project
- A shopping list to take to your local building supply store for easy material gathering.
- Cut List: Provides instructions on what to do with your materials
- Detailed Drawings: Illustrate the entire framing process
- In-depth Assembly Instructions: Guides you through the assembly of your structure from start to finish
- Online Assembly Video: Offers answers to your how-to questions as well as tips and techniques
Please note: Options such as hardware, coppertop cupolas, vinyl windows, are not provided as plans. (If you can't make them we don't provide the plans.) In addition, due to the virtually unlimited choices available for window and door placement, all options are provided as separate plan documents and are not blended into the actual structure building plans.
Summerwood offers a wide selection of options and accessories already pre-built for your convenience. To see the options, click here.
What if I need help during the building process?
If you require our technical assistance for assembly and construction related issues, please email us at email@example.com.
How do I get the plans?
Once you've ordered the plans online, you will receive an email that provides a web link, username and password, simply follow the link and enter your information, your plans will be waiting for you on your personal download site.
We also offer hard copies. Our ground shipping costs include shipping, handling, and printing of the documents.
Are gazebo plans available?
Gazebo plans are currently available in many styles and sizes. View the gazebos plans now.
Which is less expensive: to build the structure myself or buy the kit from you?
Time = money! It depends how much you value your time.
How much do your building plans cost?
Building plan pricing is based on the size of the structure, or on square footage.
Sheds, Cabins, Garages, Cabanas, Home Studios:
$49 for structures under 50 sq. ft.
$79 if the structure is between 51 and 96 sq. ft.
$129 if the structure is between 97 and 160 sq. ft.
$179 if the structure is between 161 and 250 sq. ft.
$299 for structures over 401 sq. ft.
With our building plans you can add as many options as will fit on your structure at no extra cost. Only Summerwood offers this option with plans.
To get started, see our Building Plans for shed, cabana, cabin, garage and other plans!
$99 - 8Ft.
$149 - 10Ft.
$199 - 12Ft.
$279 - 14Ft.
$379 - 16Ft.
To get started, see the Gazebo styles now!
To what scale are your plans drawn?
Typically, our plans are drawn to a scale of 1/4" = 1'. However, they can vary in size with the smallest scale being 1/8" = 1'.
Do the plans come permit ready?
No they are not permit ready. You will need to have additional drawings completed for submission to your local building permit office. These drawings will need to be stamped by a local engineer. Extra charges will apply. That said, smaller units (generally under 100 square feet) do not require permits. Always consult with your local permit office for more information first, as we do not provide refunds on our plans.
Please note that our plans do not include structural calculations (e.g. wind and snow loads). The drawings can be approved by an architect/engineer registered in your area and modified as required.
What size paper do I need in order to print the plans?
For your convenience, we have created our plans so they will print easily on a standard home printer that uses 8 1/2" x 11" paper.
Modifying My Plans:
Will my plans be exactly as shown in the picture?
Not necessarily. There is a main set of plans that detail how to frame and construct the floors, walls and roof for all our four-sided structures. The types of doors and windows you choose to install are separate documents which detail the framing and construction process. Simply subtract studs from where you would like to place the doors and windows.
Can I substitute my own siding in your plans?
Can I substitute different supportive elements in your plans (e.g. 2 x 3 wall studs instead of 2 x 4s)?
You can, but we don't recommend it. The plans are designed to meet most building codes and, by altering the supportive elements, you may be compromising regional codes.
Can I change the height and overhang in my plans?
Absolutely. Our plans actually cover all three stud heights (wall heights). The only thing that will change in your material and cut lists are the studs.
Can I change the roof pitch?
You are welcome to change the roof pitch; however, we are not able to do that for you.
Can I install eaves troughs?
Yes, but some modifications may be required.
Will my online modifications be reflected in my plans?
Yes. If you change the door, it will be included with your plans. If you delete a window, it will not show up in your order. Remember that option documents are separate from the main plans.
Installation & Setup:
Are foundation instructions included with my plans?
No. Because there are varying building codes and local conditions that must be considered, we cannot provide specific details. We recommend checking with your local building department before setting a foundation. If you would like to see some foundation examples, please visit our foundation section.
Are shingling instructions included with my plans?
No. There are numerous roofing options available; therefore, we recommend that you look at the manufacturers shingling instructions and follow their directions.
Do you include instructions on how to insulate my building?
No. Insulation needs depend on regional requirements and the end use of your building.
Do you include instructions on how to install my own doors and windows?
Yes. The window and door openings are described in such a way that our instructions will allow you to install any window or door that you like, safely and easily.
Do you offer instructions on how to install plumbing or electrical?
No. This type of addition is best left to a specialist in the field. Contact one in your area.
Additional Options & Modifications:
Do you offer plans for cupolas, flower boxes and shutters?
Absolutely. Tell us what options you would like to add to your structure and we will include the plans with your structure.
Is it possible to purchase doors and windows from Summerwood?
Certainly. With every plan, we include a price list for all our options. Select the doors and/or windows you want, and then make the purchase through one of our Design Specialists. Alternately, you can purchase your own doors and windows. Be sure to get framing information from the retailer that is selling you the option.
Can I put more than one dormer on my structure?
Yes, but we do not recommend doing this because it may compromise the stability of the roof.